Outdoor Pre Hospital Emergency Care (PHEC) Workshop:
This is the advanced outdoor first aid qualification recognised by New Zealand outdoor education and adventure tourism providers. During the 5-day programme the theory of medical emergencies and treatment is presented in an interactive and exciting manner. Participants then apply this knowledge by attending to realistic emergency scenarios. This hands-on, practical approach dramatically improves the retention of information, and better prepares participants to manage emergencies when access to medical facilities and equipment is limited.
- Patient assessment
- Resuscitation - including oxygen therapy
- Fracture and wound management
- Multiple casualty management
- Medical conditions
- Shock Advisory Defibrillation
- Patient transportation
2017 Certificate in Outdoor Emergency Care $820pp:
- 3rd – 7th May - Christchurch/Craigeburns (enrol here) Spaces remain
- 15th - 19th May - Queenstown (enrol here) Enrol now - limited spaces remain
- 31st July – 4th August - Includes Antarctica specific scenarios and teaching! Christchurch & Canterbury foothills (enrol here)
- 16th – 20th October - Southern Lakes (Wanaka) (enrol here)
- 6th – 10th November Christchurch (enrol here)
2017 Outdoor PHEC Refresher Programmes (2 Days) $390
Certificate in Outdoor Emergency Care - New for 2014!
In December 2013 we registered the new 'Certificate of Outdoor Emergency Care' with NZQA.
Designed to address the unique remote environments in which our clients work. This new qualification highlights our ‘point of difference’ and enables us to teach and assess participants using more specific outdoor scenarios and broader range of relevant topics. Click here for course details
Course Cost & Enrolment:
PHEC workshops are generally held over 5 days between 9am - 4pm, although some evening work is required.
The Craigeburns PHEC and Refresher programmes involve staying overnight in lodge accommodation. Cost includes a scrumptuous evening meal! A gear list and more details will be provided on enrolment.
Assessment & Certification:
Horizons hold consent to assess the following NZQA unit standards:
- 6400 - Manage First Aid in an emergency situation
- 6401 - Provide First Aid
- 6402 - Provide Basic life support
- 29321 - Provide basic emergency care.
- 25411 - Demonstrate knowlege of and use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) (This is expiring in 2018)
- 25412 - Provide basic pre-hospital emergency care. (This is expiring in 2018)
- 14473 - Move and Position patient in preparation for transport
- 25459 - Provide first aid for young children
- 26551 - Provide first aid for lilfe threatening conditions. (This is expiring in 2018)
- 26552 - demonstrate knowledge of common first aid conditions and how to respond to them (This is expiring in 2018)
- 424 - Assess and manage an emergency care situation during an outdoor
On-site PHEC Courses PHEC Refreshers and Outdoor First Aid:
- If you are prepared to 'sponsor' a PHEC course we can deliver one on-site, at your place for your team. You will need to provide a minimum number of participants - and you may even be able to make some savings.
- On-site PHEC Refresher / Outdoor First Aid scenario workshops are also popular with a number of leading adventure education/tourism organisations. We can include the assessment of unit standard 424 - a requirement for some Skills Active Outdoor Recreation qualifications.
- PHEC Refreshers - the industry standard to retain PHEC currency is attendance at a Refresher programme every 2 years - these programmes are also run in both spring and autumn.